Formed on the 11th November 1901, some 40 years after the first ‘British Open’ had been played. Following the meeting on the 11th little time was wasted in acquiring suitable land which was determined following an inspection of Stone Edge. However following inspection by the then professional at Lytham St Annes, George Lowe, it was eventually agreed that Law Quarry be leased and used for the course. Part of the land sale agreement with the farmer included a right to graze his donkey on the course. It also included a horse and cart! A course of 9 holes was laid out by George Lowe at a length of 5040 yards and the vision of Randolf Pilling, Thomas Shaw and Henry Hewitt became a reality.
Resolved ‘that in future the fee for caddies be 3d for a round of 9 holes and 6d for 18 holes and that the caddies come in boots on account of damaging the green with clogs’. W Dean (the farmer) agreed to mow through the course with the horse machine – supplying both horse and manual labour at 1/- per hour. An additional local rule was introduced – if a ball lie in or near dung, the ball may be dropped over the head as near as possible to the place where it lay but no nearer the hole.
Resolved ‘that when 70 gentlemen are enrolled that the entrance fee be raised to £2.2s.0d and that ladies pay £1.1s.0d entrance fee in addition to 15/- subscription’.
Resolved ‘that notice be posted calling the attention of the members to the damage done to the greens by unnecessary large nails in golfing boots’. That Colne Golf Club take Law farm on a 15 year lease and have an option to purchase said building within 10 years and that the club would build a pig sty for the farmer.
East Lancashire Golf Association (ELGA) was founded, Colne being one of the 9 founding clubs.
In June of that year Harry Vardon and JH Taylor were invited and played in an exhibition match at the club. Vardon beat Taylor 2 up. Both beat the then course record of 73, set in June 1906, the new record being 67 set by Vardon. Note Harry Vardon (1870-1937) born in Grouville on the island of Jersey was one of the greatest of the early English golfers. Six times winner of the British open, he also won the US Open in 1900 and then later the German open championship. He was entered to play in the US Open in 1912 but due to poor health at the time decided to withdraw and subsequently cancelled his passage on the ill-fated maiden voyage of the Titanic. A little bit ironic in that a former member, Robinson Foulds, was related to Wallace Hartley, the band leader from the aforesaid ship.
Holding it’s Centenary in 2001 the club continues to be a wonderful centre for people of all ages to play and enjoy the wonderful game of golf. Inspired by its surroundings and the wonderful countryside in which it is set. Overlooking Pendle Hill and the valley leading out to Burnley, some 3 miles away and only just over the border from Yorkshire. It is a relatively flat course although very deceiving in its nature. It can, and does punish wayward shots but rewards those with straight drives.